AT COMPASS, WE BELIEVE IN THE RIGHT OF PEOPLE WITH
DISABILITY TO ACCESS LIFELONG LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES
Most Australians with an intellectual disability have been denied opportunities for further learning and development opportunities. Compass has, from the outset, chosen to see people with a disability as assets rather than liabilities. This simple acknowledgement highlights the value of further learning and development in unlocking the human asset by providing structured, yet individualised, paths to lives full of achievement, choice and control.
Compass provides pathways for lifelong learning because learning is something that can be done by ANYONE. It can range from learning to hold a spoon through to learning to drive a vehicle or using a piece of machinery – and everything in between. Our diverse learning and development programs are currently delivered across our Campuses in Caboolture, Caloundra, Nambour, Hunchy and Gympie.
OUR PROGRAMS PROVIDE LEARNING AND GROWTH OPPORTUNITIES THROUGH A STRUCTURED YET FLEXIBLE CURRICULUM, WHICH INCLUDES:
- Life and social skills
- Independent living skills
- Literacy and numeracy
- Recreation training (meaningful inclusion in a wide range of physical activities)
- Arts, Drama and Multi-media
- IT and social media training
- Work readiness training and vocational preparation
- Opportunities for community work and volunteering
To be effective, learning requires:
- Defined goals
- Lesson plans
- Delivery and engagement by well trained and motivated staff
- Assessments; and
- Progress reports that allow the person, the family and Compass to measure and celebrate the progress.
We believe in the power of structured learning and creating meaningful opportunities for continuous development and growth. We also know that investing in unlocking the capacity of people is a pathway towards a more independent future.
WE OFFER THERAPEUTIC OPPORTUNITIES TO INCREASE HEALTH, WELLBEING AND PARTICIPATION
It’s vital that everybody has the opportunity to receive guidance around nutrition, access to exercise that is fun and engaging AND that we invest in actual healing and therapies that address each persons’ unique needs.
At Compass, we offer this through a variety of activities and programs including:
- Physical therapies – including Aikido, Yoga, stretching and dance
- Strength, balance, co-ordination and dexterity training
- Nutrition and dietary support
- Working alongside allied health professionals to ensure further development and implement recommended strategies
- Meditation and mindfulness to calm anxiety and lower stress
- Art Therapy – including Pottery, Mosaics, Jewellery making, Woodwork and much more
- Multimedia Development – including Computer use, Animation, Photography, Screen printing and much more
Click the link below to find out more about how our Learning and Development programs are complemented by Skills-Based Training and pathways into Vocational Opportunities.